What you need:
- 1 head of cabbage (green, white or red, or a mix)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 sterilised glass jar with a tight-fitting lid
What to do:
- Take the tough outer leaves and the hard core from the cabbage and shred finely.
- Place in a large bowl, sprinkle with the salt and then massage the salt into the cabbage for 5-10 minutes
- Leave to sit for 10 minutes (or longer) and then massage again for about 5 minutes. You will see that the cabbage has reduced and produced lots of salty water (brine)
- Pack the cabbage into the jar pouring in all the brine and pressing down so that the cabbage is under the water. At this point you can add peppercorns or caraway seeds or mustard seeds or whatever you wish to flavour the sauerkraut
- If there is a gap between the top of the cabbage and the lid of the jar, then place a clean weight (a small jar will do) and then close the jar tightly.
- Leave for at least a week in a cool place away from direct sunlight, burping every few days by opening the lid for a moment
- After opening, store in the fridge – enjoy!