This is a simple cake to make as it is simply a batter that you then chop the fruit into.
- 2 eggs
- 100g caster sugar, plus 15g for sprinkling
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 85g butter
- 75ml milk
- 125g plain flour
- 2 ¼ tsp baking powder
- 2 small pears or 1 large pear
- 100g raspberries (fresh or frozen)
- Preheat oven to 200oc/400of,gas 6.
- Line sides and base of 8x8inch cake tin with parchment paper
- Whisk eggs, 100g caster sugar and vanilla extract until thick
- Melt butter in saucepan with the milk, then pour onto egg mix, whisking all the time
- Sift in flour, baking powder and orange zest, making sure there are no lumps of flour
- Pour mix into cake tin. Peel pears, slice thinly and arrange in batter. Add the raspberries.
- Sprinkle remaining sugar
- Bake 10 mins, then turn temp to 180oc/350of /gas 4 for 20-25 minutes more
- Allow to cool in tin, cut into squares and serve warm with cream or ice-cream
Alternative: Apple cake
- Replace pears and raspberries with 2 apples + add ½ tsp cinnamon