(makes 8-10 burgers)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 225g green lentils, boiled for 25-30 mins and drained
- 1.5 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 6 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt + pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 50g white breadcrumbs
- White seasoned flour
- Oil for shallow frying
- Heat oil in frying pan, saute the garlic, onion, carrots and celery for 10-12 mins over a medium heat until softened and lightly browned.
- Add the lentils, spices, parsley, lemon juice and seasoning. Cook for 5 mins.
- Put lentil mixture into a food processor, add the egg and breadcrumbs and puree until it holds together but still has a coarse texture.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl. Cover a baking tray with silicone paper. With wet hands shape the mix into burgers and dip in seasoned flour. Place them on the baking sheet, cover and chill for 30 mins.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Cook burgers in batches for 5-7 mins each side. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve in burger bun if you like, with cucumber and yogurt raita or mayonnaise with a little roasted and ground coriander, chips, and green salad.