10g dried mushrooms – soak in 570ml boiling water for ½ hour
225g fresh mushrooms, chopped
1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
200g arborio rice/pearl barley
150ml dry madeira
2tbsp freshly grated parmesan
- Melt butter in medium saucepan, add onion and cook over gentle heat for 5 minutes.
- Add fresh mushrooms, stir well and leave to one side
- After soaking, line a sieve with a double sheet of kitchen paper and strain dried mushrooms over a bowl, reserving the liquid. Squeeze excess liquid out and chop mushrooms finely and add to the onion mix.
- Sweat over a low heat for about 20 minutes
- Heat oven to 150oc and put dish (9 inch square, about 2 inches deep) in to warm
- Add rice to onion and mushrooms and coat well in butter. Add madeira and soaking liquid. Season.
- Bring to simmering and transfer to warmed dish. Stir once. Place in oven for 20 minutes
- Gently stir in grated parmesan, turning rice grains. Put back in oven for 15 minutes
- Serve immediately with extra parmesan
- No fresh mushrooms? 40g dried mushrooms will be plenty for the dish
- No madeira? Increase the soaking liquid to 720ml