A lovely salad – traditional to use pearl barley for this but also delicious with quinoa or couscous. Use any available vegetables.
- 300g pearl barley or quinoa or couscous
- 2 plum tomatoes
- 1/3 cucumber
- 3 spring onions
- ½ green or yellow pepper
- Herbs e.g. parsley/mint
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of ½ lime
- Salt & pepper
- Cook the grain (see below) and leave to cool
- Chop the salad ingredients and herbs and add to the grain
- Whisk the oil, lime juice, salt, and pepper together
- Mix thoroughly into the tabouleh. Serve
Pearl barley: Add 1 portions of pearl barley to 3 parts boiling salted water in a large saucepan. Simmer until al-dente (about 45 minutes). Strain
Quinoa: Rinse 1 cup of quinoa thoroughly. Place in a saucepan with 1.5 cups of cold water and a little salt. Bring to the boil, stir once, cover and cook over a low heat for 15-20 minutes until soft and the water has been absorbed.
Couscous: put 1 cup of couscous in a heatproof bowl, pour 1 cup of boiled water or stock over. Cover with clingfilm and leave to sit for 5-10 minutes. Fluff with a fork to separate the grains when cooked.